If you are following the news channels even a little bit, you cannot miss the politically charged atmosphere that is permeating our amazing country! The hate and venom that is being spewed between political parties is unlike anything that I have ever seen before and I fear that it will only grow worse.
The venom spewing does not stop with political candidates alone…no, families and friends are, too, being divided and horrifyingly, lives are being threatened. A country that was attacked on 9/11 and came together in love, oneness, and patriotism is now threatening each other lives. How did we get to this place??
Well, that is probably an age-old question which has been asked by countless generations before us! Daniel, Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego being captured in Jerusalem and taken to Babylon, Herod’s slaughter of thousands of children in Bethlehem, Nero’s rule of terror over Rome, or the annihilation of more than 600,000 Jews at the hands of evil Nazis.
I can imagine that as allied forces invaded Germany, then made the German citizens (who had turned a blind eye to the death camps) help bury the countless bodies of the dead, left to rot, they must have asked themselves, “How did we get to this place?”
I have to admit that this girl, born to sin and death, but Saved because of HIS Righteousness, while trusting in her sovereign, heavenly Father, is in fear! I used to fear Russia or China or North Korea launching a nuclear bomb at us! The fear that I have now is far more real.
My fear is that my family and I could be harassed (the least of my worries), barred from patronizing restaurants or libraries, or any other establishments, attacked physically, or killed because we are conservative Christians who believe the truth of God’s Word and practice it! Yet, as I write this blog, I’m reminded of countless others who died for and because of their Christian faith:
- Stephen — a disciple of Jesus, stoned to death for his faith in Christ and preaching of the Gospel;
- Peter — a disciple of Jesus, crucified upside down for his faith in Christ and preaching of the Gospel;
- Polycarp — burned at the stake for refusing to burn incense to the Roman Emperor sometime between 155 — 167 AD;
- John Wycliff — not specifically martyred, but persecuted then after his death his body was exhumed and burned with many of his writings;
- John Huss — Huss was martyred on July 6, 1415. He refused to recant his position of the charges that were brought against him. On the day he died he is said to have stated, “God is my witness that the things charged against me I never preached. In the same truth of the Gospel which I have written, taught, and preached, drawing upon the sayings and positions of the holy doctors, I am ready to die today.”
Read more: https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/10-famous-christian-martyrs/#ixzz5JTXoEJ1N
- William Tyndale — choked to death and then burned at the stake for translating the Word of God; and,
- 90,000 Christians in 2016 killed for their faith in Christ; Read more: http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/01/01/report-90000-christians-killed-faith-2016/ ).
The list goes on and I have only included a few.
However, and in my fear, I have not waned in the Hope that I have in Christ Jesus and would gladly give my life in His service. Additionally, and because of my love for Christ and the command that He gave to us:
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35)
Jesus said that all people will know that we are His disciples, if we love one another! This is exactly why we cannot respond to those who would hate us in the same way. We must love them! Jesus commanded it!
It is so easy to spew the same venom when we are hidden behind a computer screen! I challenge you to stop with the political memes, political correctness, calling out those who believe and act differently than we do. Jesus was clear in His command and we can trust that when we are obedient, they will know us!
The world and our culture is changing more rapidly than probably any time in history, but we are not a people without Hope!